This blog is a place to share my passion for cooking and inspire people to cook more from scratch. With six people in the family, cooking is something that is always on my mind. I want to share some of my favorite foods and recipes and share more about traditional diets (like the kind of food our great, great, great grandmothers would have made). Right now I am fascinated with fermented vegetables, coconuts, seafood with a cerviche twist and organ meats... although maybe not all in the same meal!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Gettin' it down before you go out.

Strawberry blueberry banana smoothie...to go!

I don’t know about your house, but for us the elementary school bus shows up too darn early! Most days the bus is out there by 7:03 am (don’t get me started how annoying this is since the posted route time says 7:08 am). My fourth grader usually gets up at 6:40 am so you can see there is not much time to make sure he eats something to keep him going all morning before he heads out the door.
    How does mom the magician do it? One of my favorite quickie breakfasts is some variation of this simple smoothie. I can whip it up and serve it in less than 3 minutes. I start with a banana and then add whatever frozen fruit we have on hand, usually blueberries and strawberries. Sometimes we use frozen mangoes or peaches instead.  I add a cup of yogurt or kefir, which is a fermented milk drink somewhat similar to yogurt but just not as firm as yogurt. We go for full fat, which I realize sounds like heresy to some. You can put in whatever type of yogurt you like. If you are open to a contrarian perspective on the fat debate, check out Sally Fallon’s Eat Fat Lose Fat ( http://www.eatfatlosefat.com/ ) or even the New Atkins diet, ( http://www.atkins.com/atkinsbook.aspx ). I put in a light drizzle of raw honey and then I melt a tablespoon of virgin coconut oil (yes, more glorious fat!) and put all that in the food processor and sometimes add a little milk if I need to thin things out a bit. Even if just 4 -6 ounces go down, at least they’re filled with protein, some healthy fat and fruit.  All real food ingredients that will put a pep in your step as you board the school bus or however you start your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment