This blog is a place to share my passion for cooking and inspire people to cook more from scratch. With six people in the family, cooking is something that is always on my mind. I want to share some of my favorite foods and recipes and share more about traditional diets (like the kind of food our great, great, great grandmothers would have made). Right now I am fascinated with fermented vegetables, coconuts, seafood with a cerviche twist and organ meats... although maybe not all in the same meal!

Monday, January 17, 2011

Go Green

Raw Greens
Hit the Pan


And there's Lunch
  I’ve been thinking I need to eat more greens and don’t think I’ve been hitting my two servings per day so I hope today will help.  I’m a big fan of making the best of what I find in the fridge and going from there.  So today I found I had some onions (not in photo as they were already in the saute’ pan), swiss chard, baby spinach, turnips, garlic, shallots, celery and parsley calling out from the crisper... “pick me!”  I took about a tablespoon of Tropical Traditions virgin coconut oil and started to saute’ the thinly sliced onions and then added the chopped shallots and garlic.  After that the diced turnips and celery jumped in and finally after a light salt and pepper shower I added the thinly sliced chard and spinach just long enough to turn a bright green.  The parsley was last to pop in.  As I spooned out the mixture onto my serving plate, I thought a dollop of my homemade sauerkraut, some diced avocado, a handful of Tropical Traditions coconut flakes and a few smoked oysters would make a nice lunch!  So that’s what I had.
    Funny that the kids are all out at camps today except for Bridget who is perhaps on the way to getting a little something as she was napping (unusual to all who know her), so I had my feast alone.  I keep working on my kids but at the moment I don’t think they’d actually eat this.  But  I still keep trying to set the example and hope they’ll one day join me.  To me it was a delicious lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment