This blog is a place to share my passion for cooking and inspire people to cook more from scratch. With six people in the family, cooking is something that is always on my mind. I want to share some of my favorite foods and recipes and share more about traditional diets (like the kind of food our great, great, great grandmothers would have made). Right now I am fascinated with fermented vegetables, coconuts, seafood with a cerviche twist and organ meats... although maybe not all in the same meal!

Monday, January 24, 2011

Got a Minute? Get a Pancake.

    My friend Claire, a wonderful cook and a tremendous food mentor to me over the past few years, first told me about this simple “pancake” recipe that she heard about through GAPS http://www.gapsdiet.com/   Even if one is not fully doing the GAPS diet, there are some wonderful recipes from this site that give your stomach a break from the hard work of digesting grains.
    What I love about this recipe is that my five year old says she hates eggs....but yet she loves these pancakes!  Some day when she’s older she may be mad at me for sneaking eggs into her diet, but since eggs pack such a nutritional punch I just can’t resist!  I think she just doesn’t like the texture of eggs, but this pancake recipe changes the texture to something completely different.  You take a banana and a dash of cinnamon and two eggs, push the “on” button of the food processor, and wha-la... pancake batter.  You then just pour onto a griddle greased with your oil of choice.  I like butter or virgin coconut oil.  And there’s your pancake.  The first pancake is sometimes harder to get off the griddle so I make that pancake small to give the griddle time to get its groove on.  This recipe usually makes about 4 pancakes which is enough for two kids in my house.  We serve it with a little butter and either real maple syrup or raw honey on top.  You can also eat these cold later in the day rolled up with anything you like... we like cream cheese or peanut butter.    And so here’s a twist on eggs and banana for breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment