This blog is a place to share my passion for cooking and inspire people to cook more from scratch. With six people in the family, cooking is something that is always on my mind. I want to share some of my favorite foods and recipes and share more about traditional diets (like the kind of food our great, great, great grandmothers would have made). Right now I am fascinated with fermented vegetables, coconuts, seafood with a cerviche twist and organ meats... although maybe not all in the same meal!

Monday, January 31, 2011

My favorite breakfast

Warm greens, onions, mushrooms and grapefruit
Before I move on to a new food topic, I want to share one of my favorite breakfasts with you.  I heated some onions and garlic in virgin coconut oil and then added mushrooms, chopped spinach and kale.  At the table I added sliced fresh grapefruit.  To be an "ideal" breakfast, I should have added a little protein.  I could have easily added some canned oysters or salmon or even grated some cheese on top but I think I was just too much in a hurry to eat it.  After all, I was breaking the fast having not eaten since dinner the night before.  I think I may have had a small piece of cheese on the side as I ate the meal.  My point, simply, is that there is much room for creativity in breakfast and that these non-cereal breakfasts don't have to take a long time to prepare.  I whipped this up in about 10 minutes.  Now technically, yes, it would be quicker to just pour the flakes into a bowl, but then you are squelching your inner artist as you are spoon-fed some company's plan for your breakfast.  Is that really what you waited twelve hours for?  Go play in the kitchen and let me know what you created!

1 comment: