This blog is a place to share my passion for cooking and inspire people to cook more from scratch. With six people in the family, cooking is something that is always on my mind. I want to share some of my favorite foods and recipes and share more about traditional diets (like the kind of food our great, great, great grandmothers would have made). Right now I am fascinated with fermented vegetables, coconuts, seafood with a cerviche twist and organ meats... although maybe not all in the same meal!

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Year, New Me!

Welcome to a New Year... full of hope and new chances.  Just like many of you, I have resolutions for the coming year.  And like many of you, some of these are the same ones I had last year...and the year before that.... that went unfulfilled.....
    An article about goal setting suggests writing these down to be more accountable.  Plastering them all over the web just ups the ante a bit, but maybe I need some fire under my seat to make change really happen.  Here are some of my food-related goals for this year:
    Number 1:  Eat less to weigh less!  I’d like to lose 10 pounds.  (I am within the BMI range for my height at 5’ 4”  BMI of 18.5 (108 pounds) to 24.9 ( 145 pounds), but I could be closer to the middle range. While I disagree with our culture’s pressure to have middle aged women looking like teenagers and know that gaining a small bit of weight is part of a healthy aging process, I do think I should be fitter than I am right now. I am going to strive for three sessions per week of active cardiovascular exercise and two sessions per week of strengthening/toning exercise.
    Number 2:  Keep learning about traditional food preparation.  Past health issues sent me on a journey that I am now somewhat thankful for in that I actually started reading food labels and realizing that we as consumers have been bamboozled into accepting food-like substances instead of demanding real food. Some of the foods I want to make this year include kombucha, more effervescent home-brewed sodas, coconut water kefir and to master several organ dishes and make them tasty.
   Number 3:  Eat more greens. I know they are good for me, I just need to make myself eat them.  I want to eat something green two times a day.  I am hoping to add a Vita-Mix to my life this year as I think it will help me reach this goal!  Until then, my juicer and eating the greens themselves, whether cooked or raw, will suffice.
    Number 4:  Eat more Oysters...and other iron rich food!  I discovered the Oyster Bar happy hour at a local restaurant called Squid’s this year and at $6.95 for 12 Oysters during weekday happy hour from 4 - 6 pm, I want to become a regular!  I know to some this will seem so odd...I’m not so interested in the beer or wine, just the Oysters...with a twist of Lime!
   Number 5:  Keep the crock crankin’!  I want to make my sauerkraut more regularly and not allow the crock to sit idle.  It should always be making the next batch and I’d like to experiment more with herbs and ingredients to develop several distinctive products that develop a following.
       
So that’s it... five is a nice round number and this list should keep me busy for some time.  Better get off the computer and make some progress on the list!

No comments:

Post a Comment