This blog is a place to share my passion for cooking and inspire people to cook more from scratch. With six people in the family, cooking is something that is always on my mind. I want to share some of my favorite foods and recipes and share more about traditional diets (like the kind of food our great, great, great grandmothers would have made). Right now I am fascinated with fermented vegetables, coconuts, seafood with a cerviche twist and organ meats... although maybe not all in the same meal!

Monday, January 10, 2011

Oyster Madness!

Friday Night Oyster Bar Happy Hour at Squid's
I made good on one of my New Year’s resolutions already and took a pit stop over to Squid’s for Oyster Bar Happy Hour this past Friday night.  Nestled between a few afternoon errands, I was able to come in stealth-like, down my Oysters and be done in less than 20 minutes.  A dozen Oysters for $6.95, what a deal!
    A friend of mine from Louisiana says that if you want to eat raw Oysters, the best months are the ones that end in “r”, probably because those are the colder months and there is higher risk of bacterial contamination if the Oysters were in waters with a temperature higher than 86 degrees F.  I figure January is very close to December and I’m looking to make this an exciting year so I was up for the risk.  I noticed that the woman next to me had hers lightly steamed so everyone is free to make their own Oyster-fest choices.  I like to get a side of lime, which didn’t make it in the photo, and squeeze a little lime juice on each to make an impromptu Oyster cerviche dish.  If I hadn’t been pressed for time, I would have lingered to let my Oysters marinate in the lime juice a little longer.
    In addition to finding the sliminess of Oysters oddly appealing, I am mostly excited about all the nutritional benefits.  Oysters provide whopper doses of zinc, iron, B12 and phosphorous as well as provide almost 6 grams protein in 6 raw medium Oysters.  For many women it can be hard to keep high enough stores of long term iron (ferritin), and Oysters are a tasty way to get a little iron and mineral boost.  Enjoy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment