This blog is a place to share my passion for cooking and inspire people to cook more from scratch. With six people in the family, cooking is something that is always on my mind. I want to share some of my favorite foods and recipes and share more about traditional diets (like the kind of food our great, great, great grandmothers would have made). Right now I am fascinated with fermented vegetables, coconuts, seafood with a cerviche twist and organ meats... although maybe not all in the same meal!

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Loco for Coco!

   Coconuts, that is.  While I am having some technical difficulties today and don't have a fun photo to add, I didn't want to let that stop me from talking about the coconut convergence that I see unfolding in the mainstream media these days.  I'm not sure how many saw this article, Once a Villian, Coconut Oil Charms the Health Food World, by Melissa Clark that appeared on March 1st in The New York Times.  Clark discussed how coconut oil has been released from its "evil" status and is working its way up the health food chain.  Just the mere fact that Clark mentions so many people with different points of view jumping on the coconut band wagon shows that there is a shift happening.  You've got the vegans, scientists, traditional foods folks, Whole Foods and voices from the mainstream media all holding hands around the coconut tree ready to create a Kumbaya moment!
   I don't have a specific recipe to share today, but rather feel inspired by my recent trip to Salzburg, Austria and touring sites from The Sound of Music to talk about my favorite things about coconuts and get folks to share some of theirs too!  In my head I am singing "Coconut drops on Roses, warm coconut broth, brown paper packages with coconut oil inside.... these are a few of my favorite things...."
   So in tribute to the newly repositioned coconut, here are some of my "favorite" things about Coconuts!

  • Putting a tablespoon of coconut oil in warm water twenty minutes before a meal can help you feel fuller and more satiated so that you don't eat as much!  From Eat Fat, Lose Fat
  • The smell of coconut oil as you open the jar is a symphony for the senses!  When you put coconut oil on your skin as a moisturizer, you get the bonus of a bit of fragrant "coconut" perfume...which I much prefer to chemical perfumes!
  • You can even use coconut oil as a natural deodorant!
  • A tablespoon or two of warm coconut oil can be slipped into a smoothie at the last moment to add some healthy fat at the last moment.
  • Coconut milk elevates chicken soup from mundane to memorable.
  • It's great to take a small jar of coconut oil on trips in your luggage as it is shelf stable and will ensure you have a source of good fats handy when you travel.
  I'd love to hear some of YOUR favorite ways to incorporate coconut oil into your lives!  What is your best coconut recipe or way to enjoy this fabulous oil?

This posting was also posted at Real Food Wednesday on Kelly the Kitchen Kop's site.

No comments:

Post a Comment