This blog is a place to share my passion for cooking and inspire people to cook more from scratch. With six people in the family, cooking is something that is always on my mind. I want to share some of my favorite foods and recipes and share more about traditional diets (like the kind of food our great, great, great grandmothers would have made). Right now I am fascinated with fermented vegetables, coconuts, seafood with a cerviche twist and organ meats... although maybe not all in the same meal!

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Radiation Reduction Soup

Bonito/Kombu broth with beets and other vegetables to detoxify
My heart goes out to the people of Japan.  The real radiation exposure in addition to the stress of worrying about this exposure must be draining beyond belief.  I am praying that this nightmare ends soon.  As a mom who loves cooking and has a strong nurturing streak, I find that when people are in pain I always think about what kind of food could possibly offer some comfort.  In thinking about what kind of food to make, I was inspired by the newsletter from Dr. Cowan's office last week. 
 
Who is Dr. Cowan and what is his advice about Radiation exposure?
Dr. Cowan is a wise anthroposophical doctor and principal author of The Fourfold Path to Healing.  Dr. Cowan practices in San Francisco, California and his March 17th newsletter was giving general advice about ways to help the body deal with any potential increased radiation exposure.  His comments discuss the benefits of naturally fermented miso, sea vegetables like kombu, beets, greens, good fats and lacto-fermented vegetables in helping the body detoxify after radiation exposure.  He also talks about simple steps such as taking epsom salt baths every few days to help aid the body's elimination channels.


A Soup Recipe with Detoxifying Ingredients

So my inspiration for this soup was to combine as many radiation reducing foods as possible into a tasty soup that will be good for all of us.  Even if your area is not experiencing excess radiation, we can all eat this to join in solidarity with the people of Japan. 

Radiation Reduction Soup Ingredients:
2 quarts filtered water
6 pieces kombu
1 cup bonito flakes
1 - 2 tbs coconut oil
1 green pepper
2 beets
1 zucchini
2 garlic cloves
1-2 tbs of grated fresh ginger
a handful of tatsoi greens
a few tbs of coconut cream
 
How to make the soup:
Make the broth first
I started by making a simple kombu/bonito broth by taking two quarts of filtered water and putting 6 pieces of kombu into the water and letting it reach a full boil.  After the boil, I reduced the heat and put in 1 cup of bonito flakes and let that steep for about 1/2 hour.  

Next, Saute' the veggies
Meanwhile, in another pan I took 1- 2 tbs of virgin coconut oil and saut'eed 1 diced green pepper, 2 diced beets and 1 diced zucchini.  I also added 2 garlic cloves chopped and a handful of tatsoi greens cut chiffonade style. 

Mix everything together
I then strained the kombu/bonito broth and put the strained liquid in with the vegetables.  I reserved a small amount of liquid to mix with a heaping tablespoon of naturally fermented miso and then mixed that into the main soup mixture.  I added the ginger and salted/peppered to taste and then added a few tablespoons of coconut cream to add a rich background flavor.  And for one more detoxifying boost, add a little sauerkraut or fermented veggies to the mix as you serve the soup.  

How does it taste?
I had a little taste tonight and I enjoyed it quite a bit; so to my taste it is GOOD and GOOD FOR YOU... the best combination of all.  I expect it to be even better after a few hours and the flavors can get more properly acquainted.  May this soup help all of us to let go of the toxins in our world, whatever they may be.  

Also posted at Real Food Wednesday by Kelly the Kitchen Kop

For more beet recipes, click here for Foodista!



4 comments:

  1. I followed you from the foodie blog roll and I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site. I hope you could add this beet widget at the end of this post so we could add you in our list of food bloggers who blogged about beets,Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alisa, I have written two posts so far about Beets... I had one in January called Almost Borscht that you might like also. I am not sure I figured out the widget thing but I linked the foodista site at the bottom of the post! Thanks for liking my beet recipe! As the radiation continues in the Pacific ocean, we may all want to start guzzling this stuff....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wouldn't kvass work as well? I *HEART* beets in any form - infact making the russian beet salald for a potluck tonight!
    BLessings!
    LIB
    http://bit.ly/ibO3PU

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, a glass of kvass would be lovely! In fact, that's what I will call some future post about kvass when I get around to it! Your Russian beet salad sounds tasty....what's in it?

    ReplyDelete