This blog is a place to share my passion for cooking and inspire people to cook more from scratch. With six people in the family, cooking is something that is always on my mind. I want to share some of my favorite foods and recipes and share more about traditional diets (like the kind of food our great, great, great grandmothers would have made). Right now I am fascinated with fermented vegetables, coconuts, seafood with a cerviche twist and organ meats... although maybe not all in the same meal!

Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patrick's Day goes tropical....

I was thinking you may already be simmering your corned beef and cabbage for tonight's St. Patrick's Day meal, so what can I do to give your day an extra boost of green?  I went tropical for my inspiration on something quick and easy to try for lunch so you can be green all day long!  In "Virgin Coconut Oil" by Brian and Mariannita Jader Shilhavy which was written for Tropical Traditions customers, they have some great recipes featuring coconuts and with the avacado in this one it ends up a nice shade of green, naturally.  There's no need for green food coloring when nature paints with such beautiful shades of green. The avacado soup includes 2 avacados, 1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice (I added the juice of half a lemon), 2 cups chicken broth (or try with coconut water or even water if that is all you have handy), 2 tbs dry sherry, 1 cup Coconut Cream concentrate (this is not coconut oil but rather a creamier paste that is usually sold near coconut oil or in the baking aisle or my preference... order directly from Tropical Traditions at http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/ ), 1/2 tsp salt and 2 pinches cayenne pepper.  The recipe says to puree the avacado and lemon juice first in a blender and then add the broth and sherry.  Pour in a bowl and whisk in the coconut cream concentrate and then season to taste with the salt and cayenne pepper.  I happened to use my new toy the Vitamix and just blended it all in there.  It wasn't clear to me from this recipe whether they intended it to be served warm or as a cold soup.  I think you could do either, depending on your own preference.  I had mine cool this morning for breakfast and I am just waiting for all the good energy I am going to have this morning from my healthy fat infusion.
  A serving delivers a whopping 84 g fat with 67 g saturated.  Now I know some of you are just thinking, let's wheel her in for an artery roto-rooter cleaning right now!  I don't know that I can convince you otherwise at this point but I want to plant the seed that there are some other voices out there that say we are a (good) fat starved people and that our bodies need fat and protein to thrive. A researcher named Uffe Ravnskov, who has a website at http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm  has all kinds of interesting information about various cholesterol myths and in fact has written a book called "Fat and Cholesterol are good for you."  Even if you don't agree with his premise, why not at least check out his website and see if some of his ideas are not worth reconsidering.  You may do an Irish jig when you find out you can enjoy healthy fats in your diet!

1 comment:

  1. Hello,


    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

    To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Vincent
    petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete