This blog is a place to share my passion for cooking and inspire people to cook more from scratch. With six people in the family, cooking is something that is always on my mind. I want to share some of my favorite foods and recipes and share more about traditional diets (like the kind of food our great, great, great grandmothers would have made). Right now I am fascinated with fermented vegetables, coconuts, seafood with a cerviche twist and organ meats... although maybe not all in the same meal!

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Kraut Uncrocked!

If you check back to my post of March 20th, you can see video of when I spent hours chopping cabbage, beets, onions and a few other veggies and put them all in a crock to ferment.  Well, the wait is over and late in the afternoon of Easter I opened the crock.  If you've never opened a crock before, I thought this video that I have attached might help demystify the process.  


I thought it fitting to open the kraut on the joyous day of Easter as I realized these veggies had been fermenting for most of Lent, waiting and preparing to become something better and it was a treat to be rewarded at the end of the day with this delicious sauerkraut.  No matter how many batches of kraut I make, they are always going to be just a little different depending on how long the mixture ferments (this time I did about 5 weeks), the temperature over the time of fermentation and also the mixture of vegetables and herbs that I put in the kraut.  I have so enjoyed sharing this kraut with some of my friends and neighbors and have especially enjoyed it in our family during meals.  A few tablespoons at the start of every meal is a wonderful way to get the digestive juices flowing.  

There is something amazing about how you can take pedestrian cabbage and salt and elevate this food to a symphony of tangy, sour, sweet and juicy just by letting time pass.  And while this is I suppose a "processed" food, it is the one case where the "processing" actually increases the nutrient value of the food so that's a process I can feel good about.  There are not enough hours in the day to think about all the different variations that are worth trying... more herbs this time, maybe more ginger, a bit less onion... the list goes on and on.  I think it could be a life's work to perfect the right mix of sauerkraut combinations and I certainly think that would be a good life to keep working on it!


I hope you enjoy this home peek at the uncrocking of the kraut.  I know the video is not perfect, but my goal is to help you get more comfortable taking on these home fermentation projects yourself, so I trust you will forgive any imperfections in filming.


Here's the film to enjoy!




Also posted at Kelly The Kitchen Kop's Real Food Wednesday

No comments:

Post a Comment