This blog is a place to share my passion for cooking and inspire people to cook more from scratch. With six people in the family, cooking is something that is always on my mind. I want to share some of my favorite foods and recipes and share more about traditional diets (like the kind of food our great, great, great grandmothers would have made). Right now I am fascinated with fermented vegetables, coconuts, seafood with a cerviche twist and organ meats... although maybe not all in the same meal!

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Krazy for Kale Chips

Kale ready to go into the dehydrator
I've been getting boatloads of greens from our CSA share with Infinity Farm lately and needed some way to handle all these extra greens.  I've also been thinking I need to use my "mac daddy" supreme Excalibur Dehydrator more.... so the perfect solution was to experiment and make my own dehydrated kale chips.  There is a brand of kale chips called Rhythm Chips that were my inspiration for today's experimentation.  I looked at their ingredient list which includes kale, zucchini, onion, cashews, lemon juice, vegan nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, garlic, parsley and salt and spices and then looked through my kitchen to see what I had on hand.


I got to use all my snazzy appliances today so I cranked up the Vitamix and emptied everything I had that was close into the "mac daddy" blender and here's what I came up with:


One onion roughly sliced
4 cloves garlic
1 tsp or so of sea salt
about a half cup of Braggs apple cider vinegar

I also saw these goodies and decided to throw them in too:
a tsp or so of dijon mustard
a tsp or two of worcestershire sauce
a tsp or two of Bragg's liquid aminos
a dash of Tabasco sauce
a tbs or two of coconut ghee melted (can't resist a chance to get those yummy fats in there!)


Essentially I blended all this in the Vitamix and made a dip and added a bit of water at the end to make it liquid enough to be able to dip the kale into this mixture and then place them on the dehydrator trays.
dipping the kale in its "bath" before dehydrating
I put the dehydrator on low setting and then after a few hours was delighted by the crispy crunch of these delicious kale chips.  They may not be exactly like my favorite store brand, but I've got to say they were pretty darn tasty!  So I solved two problems today... I cleared out some crisper space by using up the kale and I added a snack to the pantry that my kids are eating!!  I encourage you to go ahead and make your experiments and adjustments as you make your own kale creations.  I think an oven on the lowest setting would also work if you don't have a dehydrator and also any blender could mix up all the ingredients for a dipping sauce.  Have fun making your own creations!


Also posted at Kelly the KItchen Kop's Real Food Wednesday 
and Food Renegade's Fight Back Friday

2 comments:

  1. Hi Donna! Love Kale Chips! Thank you for reminding me to make them, and thanks for stopping by my blog. I look forward to reading more of your great recipes my fellow NC chef!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just signed up for a CSA this year (for the first time ever) and it starts in just a week. I can't wait! This recipe will come in handy when all those greens start arriving at my doorstep. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete