This blog is a place to share my passion for cooking and inspire people to cook more from scratch. With six people in the family, cooking is something that is always on my mind. I want to share some of my favorite foods and recipes and share more about traditional diets (like the kind of food our great, great, great grandmothers would have made). Right now I am fascinated with fermented vegetables, coconuts, seafood with a cerviche twist and organ meats... although maybe not all in the same meal!

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Quiche can gobble up more greens!

My cooler full of greens!


So I am feeling very blessed to have this problem of figuring out what to do with all the fabulous greens that keep coming my way from my CSA (community supported agriculture) box from Infinity Farm in Cedar Grove, North Carolina.  Once I get my boxes on Tuesday, I put some of the greens on ice in a cooler until I can figure out ways to get them all in the fridge.  My inspiration tonight was finding a use for the green onions, sorrel and swiss chard.

And then it came to me.... Quiche!  I'm calling this "Use up your CSA Greens Quiche!"  I like to create as I go but I took notes as I whipped up this creation and my taste testers of my son and his friend say this one's a winner!  I'll leave my trail below on how I converted these greens into quiche.


Use up your CSA greens Quiche

(preheat oven to 350 degrees)

1 and 1/2 cups roasted almonds
1/3 cup coconut ghee
2 slabs of bacon
4 green onions
1/2 to 3/4 bunch of Swiss Chard, chopped in strips
2 cloves garlic crushed
handful of sorrel greens
1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped fennel
2/3 cup of heavy cream
3 eggs
salt/pepper to taste
1 cup Gruyere cheese grated
1/4 cup Parmagiano Reggiano cheese grated
 


Quiche almost done cooking... still have a bit of browning left!


Step one:  Make a quick crust
I just ground up 1 1/2 cups of almonds and added about 1/3 cup of coconut ghee (you could use just coconut oil or butter) and mixed it all up in the food processor which made a paste that I put on just the bottom layer of a pie pan.  (If you want to make a flour crust, go ahead!  I've been kind of on a lower carb kick lately so I opted for a quick nut crust.)

Step two:  Get your skillet working
I cut up the bacon and put it in a skillet and cooked it down and then added the onions, swiss chard, fennel and garlic.  At the end I added the sorrel.  

Step three:  mix the wet ingredients 
I beat the eggs in a bowl, added the cream, salt/pepper and then grated the cheeses and put them all together.


Step four:  Get the greens in the pie plate
Put the cooked greens and bacon mix into the pie crust.


Step five: Add everyone else to the party!
Pour the egg/cheese mixture over everything. 


Step six:  Into the oven
Bake at 350 degrees until the quiche sets and a knife comes out clean (about an hour).


There are so many variations and certainly feel free to add whatever greens you have on hand for your quiche.  I like the way all those greens cook down and now I've got a great quick meal that I'll probably use for breakfasts and lunches.  The quiche is barely even out of the oven and it's already 1/4 gone.  But no problem, I've still got lots of greens so I may be making another quiche pretty soon!


Also posted at Real Food Wednesday
 

1 comment:

  1. I've been trying to do CSA quiches for a while now, with limited success, until my sister shared a recipe for chard frittata with me and it was fantastic and easy. The only difference between frittata and quiche that I can tell is that you mix breadcrumbs in the egg mixture, rather than a crust for the quiche. But your crust sounds very interesting so I might go back to the quiche realm to try it!!

    ReplyDelete