This blog is a place to share my passion for cooking and inspire people to cook more from scratch. With six people in the family, cooking is something that is always on my mind. I want to share some of my favorite foods and recipes and share more about traditional diets (like the kind of food our great, great, great grandmothers would have made). Right now I am fascinated with fermented vegetables, coconuts, seafood with a cerviche twist and organ meats... although maybe not all in the same meal!

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

When it's Raining Greens

A freezer tray full of turnip cubes!
I don't know about you, but thanks to the bounty from my CSA (Thanks Jon!) I have been swimming in greens these past few weeks!  There's turnip greens, beet greens, kale, tatsoi, chard, arugula, spinach.... the list goes on an on.  

So I've been in overdrive coming up with ways to eat all the greens coming into the house.  One of the ways I help shrink the load in the crisper is to take some of the greens and steam them and then quickly put them in ice water to stop the cooking process.  I then puree' the greens and pour them into ice cube trays.  Once they are done I pop them in bags in the freezer and when it is time to make my smoothies, I can pop a cube or two into the smoothie. 

The bonus of this is that you are getting cooked greens in your smoothie which reduces the oxalic and phytic acid content.  This should make it easier for your body to get the nutrients in leafy greens.  I've found that as long as you don't put in too many green cubes, they will fly under the radar and your kids won't even notice them.  I have found that using a lot of frozen blueberries and strawberries will keep the general color of the smoothie still in the blue/purple hue which seems more appealing to my kids than green smoothies.


So don't get greedy.... maybe just pop one small cube into your normal smoothie and that way you'll be adding some extra greens into your food and you'll be clearing your crisper out of all those big leafy greens at the same time!


Also published at Real Food Wednesday

No comments:

Post a Comment