This blog is a place to share my passion for cooking and inspire people to cook more from scratch. With six people in the family, cooking is something that is always on my mind. I want to share some of my favorite foods and recipes and share more about traditional diets (like the kind of food our great, great, great grandmothers would have made). Right now I am fascinated with fermented vegetables, coconuts, seafood with a cerviche twist and organ meats... although maybe not all in the same meal!

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Rainbow Slaw

In these dog days of summer, it is hard to even think of turning on the oven when there is a constant oven on outdoors.  So when it came time for lunch, I started searching for a cool alternative. 

As with much of my cooking, I started out looking to use what I had in the kitchen rather than be guided by a particular recipe.  I had some lovely beets that were striped purple and white and some carrots, turnips, basil and other assorted greens.  I think I had a bit of fennel as well and I also had some apples that I diced which added a lot of flavor.  If I had walnuts and or pecans on hand, those would have been perfect too.  I used the grating attachment on the food processor and just went shred happy.  


The resulting mixture was a perfect lunch for a hot day once I made a little dressing.  I almost hate to influence you here by telling you what I made as a dressing because there are so many ways to play it from here.  I chose a simple dressing with lemon juice, sea salt, some grated ginger, a dash of maple syrup and olive oil to dress my salad.  But there are so many options here and I think it shows how you can never get bored with vegetables if you allow yourself to be creative on the final dressing.  


To make this a full on meal, you could have added a few sea scallops or if you are looking to eat on the cheap, even some canned oysters or wild salmon in a can sprinkled on top would have been a great ending as well.  If there is any lesson from this rainbow of slaw, it would be to keep trying new combinations and not be afraid of the results.  In general, I have found that as long as you keep adding things that you like, the dish has a way of turning out just fine!


Also posted at Real Food Wednesday




1 comment:

  1. Greetings. This is my first time on your blog, but you have a terrific one. I am always on the look out for new blogs, new ideas. I especially appreciate all the details you d0. Great photos makes it seem like anyone can replicate the recipe!

    I am asking, would you please consider posting a few of your favorite recipes on erecipecards.com
    http://erecipecards.com/

    It is a tool for bloggers to see and to be seen. Your posts would fit in perfectly.

    in addition, all photos, recipe titles as well as your blog name would link directly back to your blog. Thus giving you new attention and potentially new readers.

    Or, if you just want to take a look at a lot of fellow food bloggers all in one place. A great learning experience to get ideas about how to establish your own blogging voice!


    Please take a look. If you have any ideas or questions, please do not hesitate to write

    Dave
    http://erecipecards.com/
    Contact@eRecipeCards.com

    ReplyDelete