This blog is a place to share my passion for cooking and inspire people to cook more from scratch. With six people in the family, cooking is something that is always on my mind. I want to share some of my favorite foods and recipes and share more about traditional diets (like the kind of food our great, great, great grandmothers would have made). Right now I am fascinated with fermented vegetables, coconuts, seafood with a cerviche twist and organ meats... although maybe not all in the same meal!

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Change your mood, change your kraut!

A light and clean kraut!
I'm feeling light and clean right now and so when it was time to make my latest batch of kraut, I knew I wanted to keep it all green and light this time.  A lot of times I like to add beets or red cabbage and you end up with a red looking kraut, but not this time!

Today I stuck with organic green cabbages, organic granny smith apples, organic onions, organic and biodynamic garlic, organic ginger root, organic dill spices and Celtic salt to make a light, lean kraut.

It never ceases to amaze me how many options there are in kraut making land.  There is never a need to make the exact same kraut twice and really with the differences in temperatures at different times of the year, the fermentation process is always going to be a little different each time.  Somehow the notion, however, that you can change your kraut to suit your mood, almost like making a fashion statement of deciding which scarf or accessory to wear each day is one of endless amusement for me.  Feeling like you need to bulk up?  then make a heavy kraut with beets and richer spices... feeling spicy?  then add extra peppers! 

Perhaps because I have recently been learning about the wisdom of some Ayurvedic principles of understanding that there is a time and place for different foods depending on how your feeling, that using your mood to help you decide what to ferment is an intriguing notion.

Making a tasty and pleasing kraut is as much of an artistic undertaking as painting the perfect picture or penning a powerful poem.  There is an endless palate of flavor, texture, color and olfactory choices.   I'd like to live in a world where people make fashion statements by the kind of kraut they create... perhaps if I plant the seed in your mind you will join me in the quest for the perfect kraut to suit your mood!  Let me know what you decide to make.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! I went to a fermentation class taught by Sandor Katz on Saturday so I'm all jazzed up about kraut right now. I was thinking of doing some with red cabbage, garlic, and hot peppers. Yours with green cabbage and apple sounds fantastic and very seasonal, too. Maybe I'll have to make two kinds this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Grace! Going to a class by Sandor Katz is on my list of things to do. Did you go to Tenn or were you somewhere else for his workshop? Hot peppers are also in season so that sounds like a fun kraut too!

    ReplyDelete