This blog is a place to share my passion for cooking and inspire people to cook more from scratch. With six people in the family, cooking is something that is always on my mind. I want to share some of my favorite foods and recipes and share more about traditional diets (like the kind of food our great, great, great grandmothers would have made). Right now I am fascinated with fermented vegetables, coconuts, seafood with a cerviche twist and organ meats... although maybe not all in the same meal!

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Homemade Biscuits with Sausage, Egg and Cheese



Hot out of the oven biscuits!
I keep trying to dance the dance of making "good for you" food that my kids WILL EAT!  It doesn't help to make a fabulously healthy meal but then not have my kids eat it....


So while I'm not a huge fan of the  carbs in homemade biscuits for myself, I am happy to treat them every now and then!  And if you can use this as a delivery system to get in pasture raised eggs, cheddar cheese and sausage from healthy animals, you are starting your day with some good protein.  This made from scratch biscuit actually does have some pretty good things in it and I have a way to make the biscuit that makes it even healthier for you when you soak your flour in buttermilk overnight.


I got my inspiration for this recipe from this month's Bon Appetit' (September 2011) magazine where chef John Currance, owner of Big Bad Breakfast in Oxford, MS shared his biscuit recipe.  I've never been there but it sounds like my kind of place to eat!  I see that the chef spent some time in Chapel Hill working at Bill Neal's Crooks Corner so he comes from cooking royalty as far as this town is concerned.  I'd put Big Bad Breakfast on my list of places to visit should I find myself in Oxford, Mississippi!  


For my adaptation, I used coconut oil instead of vegetable oil because vegetable oil has too many Omega 6 essential fatty acids in a world where we already have too many of them.  I say just nix the vegetable oil out of all your recipes and use coconut oil instead.  He also says you can use lard, and that is fine with me-- I like animal fats if they are from healthy animals but I didn't have any lard handy and I also am a big coconut oil fan so I used that.  I changed the sugar to coconut crystals because they have a lower glycemic index and actually still have some trace nutrients so for a sweetener it is one of the better choices.  I also reduced the amount of baking powder and soda and am going to give you an adaptation that shows you how to soak the grains first as that helps to make the grains more digestible.  I didn't do that for this time just because I didn't think of it the night before but I will show you both ways so you'll have the information should you decide to try it!  


Donna's a little "better for you" Biscuits!


6 Tbsp (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/4 coconut oil or lard
4 cups all purpose flour (non bleached)
2 Tbsp Coconut Crystals
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tbsp baking soda
1 tsp Celtic sea salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper (or to your taste)
1 3/4 cups buttermilk


If you were soaking the grains, you would mix the flour with room temp buttermilk and set out on the counter overnight covered with wrap.  In the morning you would just add the rest of the ingredients in the food processor and proceed as the recipe states here.  I know the concept of soaking grains seems so foreign to most of us that you never see it in a recipe but soaking grains overnight in an acidic medium helps to break the grains down and makes more of the nutrients available for your body to digest so it is something to consider doing, especially if you have a hard time digesting grains.


Otherwise, you start by turning oven to 400 degrees F to preheat.  Then blend flour and butter, coconut oil, coconut crystals, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pepper in food processor.  Pulse until you get a course meal.  If you have not soaked, here is where you add the buttermilk as in the photo below:




Adding buttermilk

Then you fluff with a fork and knead lightly to have a doughy mixture which will be about 3 turns of the mix.  Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and pat dough out to about 1 inch thick and fold over repeating process about five times.  Then roll out the dough and cut biscuits as you will see here:

Getting kids to help makes them more likely to eat it later!

Then put the biscuits on a cookie sheet greased either with coconut oil or on parchment paper and put in the oven for 12 - 15 minutes.  You'll be rewarded with "heaven in a bun" as my daughter said!  And then put some nice butter inside with eggs, cheese and sausage and you've got a filling breakfast that will hold your kids full all morning!


So then on the next day if you have the biscuits already made, you can put the biscuits in the oven on warm and put cheese and precooked bacon and eggs inside and you will have these fabulous biscuits ready whatever time your kids need to have breakfast!  I am usually up about an hour before they come down for breakfast so I just have them all ready to take out of the oven warm and serve to whichever child is ready to head out the door!


Also posted at Kelly the Kitchen Kop




No comments:

Post a Comment