This blog is a place to share my passion for cooking and inspire people to cook more from scratch. With six people in the family, cooking is something that is always on my mind. I want to share some of my favorite foods and recipes and share more about traditional diets (like the kind of food our great, great, great grandmothers would have made). Right now I am fascinated with fermented vegetables, coconuts, seafood with a cerviche twist and organ meats... although maybe not all in the same meal!

Monday, December 26, 2011

Dive in to good times...soup that delivers taste and performance

Crabs, mushrooms, miso, kale, ginger... it's a party in here!





I really don't like recipes in general.  They have their place and sometimes I do use them... especially when I am in new territory.  But soup for me is an old friend and so I usually will just whip up something that suits my mood and what is in the fridge.

I'm still swirling around the ideas of Dr. Terry Wahls about how she improved her MS with diet.  And again-- even without any MS or particular reason to find this so interesting-- I do.  I think it is because on some innate level despite all the skeptics out there who say I'm coo-coo for thinking that diet can have a profound impact on health, I still believe that it can.  I know it is not everything, but I think our society vastly underestimates the power of food on health.

It is somewhat ironic to me that some of the hardest people to even entertain this idea are doctors.  I was at a party several nights ago talking to some doctors there and mentioned Dr. Wahl's story and link to her TED talk.  I told them to look up the link and tell me what they think... I seriously doubt that they will and I'm pretty sure they will dismiss the potential in this story without even looking at it.   

But for me, I keep trying to find ways to get more of those good foods that Dr. Wahls say are good for brain health and health in general into my diet.  And I wanted a quick soup this afternoon after my taxing exercise class with Dr. Stew.  (By the way... lovin' my new running shoes that have been fit with an insert to help stabilize my feet.  I was running my 1/4 mile sprints on about 6 minute mile pace!!!  I can't help but think that my diet is part of why this middle aged momma was the fastest woman in the class today and hangin' not too far behind some men half my age).

OK, I digress.  Now back to the soup... I am looking for ways to get more fish stock, miso, greens and mushrooms in my diet so here's the ingredients I used:  

  • an organic onion, diced
  • 2 tbs coconut oil
  • shitake mushrooms, diced, about two handfuls
  • portobello mushrooms, diced, about two handfuls
  • two cloves garlic, diced
  • 4 cups fish stock, preferably homemade (mine today was home-made by the folks at Whole Foods)  I prefer to make my own but hey, it was Christmas yesterday and I've been busy :) )
  • 1 container of frozen wild crabmeat
  • 2 tbs of freshly ground ginger
  • 1 cup coconut water
  • 2 heaping handfuls of chopped kale
  • 1 - 2 tbs of Miso
  • 1 dash of secret fish sauce

What I did:

First I put the coconut oil in a warm pan and then added the onions and let them sweat down.  Then the mushrooms and garlic were added.  After they were nice and soft, I added the fish stock and let that get up just about to a boil.  


Then I added the crabmeat.  After letting it cool a bit I added the coconut water, the handfuls of kale and the ginger.  I took a cup of liquid out and mixed the miso and got that all mixed and soft and then re-added it to the mixture.  Then at the end I added a dash of this very strong green stuff that I got from a Japanese friend who got it from Japan.  I'm not exactly sure what it is, but I know it is good stuff and less than pea sized drop adds boatloads of depth and flavor.  If you don't have it, I think the rest of it still would taste good on its own!


So that's my cooking for today... simple, stuff I had on hand, and just chock full of nutrition.  I've downed some serious greens today if you count the sautee'd kale I had for breakfast and my wheat grass shot earlier in the day.  I got some mushrooms, fish stock, ginger and all kinds of good things in.  


I think that's what excites me about cooking... finding ingredients that are actually GOOD FOR YOU and then finding a way to make it taste so good that you can just enjoy the food for what it is and not feel deprived in the least.  GOOD FOOD really does taste GOOD!  Simple as that.  So go ahead... make your own party and invite the good foods that you think your body needs right now and dive right in and enjoy!


Also posted at Kelly the Kitchen Kop's Real Food Wednesday
 

No comments:

Post a Comment