This blog is a place to share my passion for cooking and inspire people to cook more from scratch. With six people in the family, cooking is something that is always on my mind. I want to share some of my favorite foods and recipes and share more about traditional diets (like the kind of food our great, great, great grandmothers would have made). Right now I am fascinated with fermented vegetables, coconuts, seafood with a cerviche twist and organ meats... although maybe not all in the same meal!

Monday, December 12, 2011

A New Day

Avacodo, Grapefruit, sprinkles of cinnamon, paprika and dehydrated Kale chips drizzled with Olive Oil
I've been away so long that I don't know quite how to return!  My last post was in October....let's just say I was a bit busy the last month or so and I'm sorry to have been away so long.  But it is a new day and a good way to rejoin you is with a different twist on breakfast.

I had this mix of avacado, grapefruit, cinnamon, paprika and kale chips drizzled with olive oil.  I am drawn to breakfast lately because I think it is the meal with the most room for improvement.  Most people if they are trying to be healthy can do lunch and dinner pretty well.  But breakfast has these cultural norms of cereal, danish, pastries, bagels, toast etc. and so many of these things are NOT the best fuel to start your day.  They just end up as sugar in your body so you're not much better off than if you just ate a candy bar to start your day.

So I'd like to inspire you to become a non conventional breakfast eater.  Once you throw out our cultural norms, there are so many wonderful foods to be eaten as we break our fast from a long night of sleep.  The avacado, grapefruit mix has some great health benefits that might inspire you to dump your cereal box once and for all.

That dash of cinnamon can go a long way.  On just a quick google search of cinnamon I found a cinnamon's health benefits site listing all these health properties such as having a regulatory effect on blood sugar, fighting yeast, reducing the proliferation of leukemia and lymphoma cancer cells, having an anti-clotting effect on the blood, and improving cognitive function.  It also is a good source of manganese, fiber, iron and calcium.  

The benefits of avacado are also many.  A good site for avacado's benefits are listed here.  Avacados are good for your eyes and heart as well as being an excellent source of glutathione, which is an antioxidant thought to be helpful in preventing cancer, heart disease and slowing the aging process.  One cup of avacado has 23% of the daily recommended folate intake and avacados have also been shown to lower cholesterol.  

Everybody in this breakfast is adding something of value and the grapefruit does too.  Grapefruit's benefit's, listed here, include aiding in weight loss, providing vitamin C, lycopene (which helps fight tumors and cancer), liver tonic benefits and also digestive aids along with many other benefits.


The sprinkled dehydrated kale chips add some crunch and their own powerhouse of contributions.  Kale may be the most nutritious vegetable on the planet with health benefits listed here that include being rich in carotenoids and flavenoids, having anti-inflammatory properties, and being rich sources of vitamins A, C and K among it's many, many benefits.


Paprika's benefits, listed here include megadoses of vitamin C that can be 9 times more potent than the vitamin C found in tomatoes.


Finally, the olive oil is beneficial in so many ways including being a source of monounsaturated fat which can lower LDL cholesterol and having polyphenols which have cancer fighting properties.


To make this perfect, I should have included some protein.  I actually have some dried anchovies so that would make an excellent addition and more crunch too.  You could add a side of the protein of your choice.


Of course with all these foods, you should seek out the BEST that you can find so that you actually get these health benefits.  I was fortunate to have my olive oil from Chaffin Family Orchards, and my grapefruit just arrived on a truck from Florida this week from my daughter's jump rope fruit sale, and my kale and greens from visits to local farms.  


I say we need to get our food WORKING FOR US to help us be healthier, not bringing us down.  What has your breakfast done for you lately?


Also posted at Kelly the Kitchen Kop's Real Food Wednesday



No comments:

Post a Comment